Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dr. Kidd and the Clever Mediterraneans

I imagine some doctors are extrordinary technicians. Some, perhaps, are brilliant clairvoyants and get to the right diagnosis quickly. Another bunch could be classified as tireless workhorses, plugging away diligently to find root causes and change resistant paitents and their behaviors.

Dr. Kidd, however, missed his calling as a high-power TV informercial pitchman. Billy Mays who?

I don't know what actually went down in that exam room. I have heard bits and pieces. I have reconstructed the whole scene in my mind and think I can see it unfolding. But I'll never really know for sure.

What I do know is that my husband walked out of that room a changed man. Whatever Dr. Kidd was selling, Jim was buying. I have never seen Jim be so swayed by anyone or anything before. In fact, I'm pretty sure he wasn't that "into" me when he sort of asked me to marry him. (Different story, point of small contention, but I'm getting over it! Ha!)

So I think there may have been a magic potion or potent invisible gas involved. And if there was, don't call the AMA or FDA. Let Dr. Kidd bottle it and sell it.

We exited the clinic and headed toward the car. Full of an enthusiasm I have never seen before, Jim hopped in the driver's seat and started spouting back "Kiddisms" for the whole ride home.

In my memory, he's like an 8-year-old that just discovered baseball and can't wait to tell you every single thing about it. He can't get the words out quickly enough and you can literally see the excitement on his face.

"He asked me how much I weighed when I graduated from high school. I told him 185. He said, 'Wouldn't it be nice to weigh 10 lbs. more than that now?'" (What genius, I think. Set a realistic goal and make it seem not so hard ... 10 lbs OVER what you were. Psychologically clever!)

"He told me my ideal weight was in the 150 range. But he also said that there's no way I'd look good at 150. I'm not built like that. I'm stocky. But 190-195 would be a good goal. And that's not really that much to lose." (Again ... convince him that he doesn't have to lose TOO much. Give him a picture in his head that's OK. So smart!)

"He said he follows this Mediterranean Food Pyramid. It's not a diet. It's just a way to eat. He likes it because it has more flavor that other food pyramids. It lets you have a little more fat, so you can make stuff taste better." (Not a diet? Great tactic! More fat and more taste. Sound easy!)

"And he says, 'You gotta live a little.' Eat right all week and then if you want to go out and have a steak on Saturday night, have a steak. Just eat the smaller one, not the all-you-can-eat prime rib." (Do you hear the choir of angels breaking out the Hallelujah Chorus? Dr. Kidd said the magic word: STEAK. Since we have run into Dr. Kidd at Texas Roadhouse, there's proof he really eats like this. Holy crap. Clearly this won't be that hard. This Kidd guy is brilliant!)

Then Jim thrust the Mediterranean Food Pyramid at me and my life officially changed.

No comments: