Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bike Metaphors, The Sequel

  • On your way uphill, the pedaling is hard. But it almost always get easier just before the peak. So be careful about making decisions about how tough it's going to be to reach the summit from the bottom. You can't really know until you get there and it's almost always not as difficult as it appears to be.
  • You need both the long, slow climbs and the steeper, shorter hills to keep the ride interesting and your blood pumping.
  • Bikes need kickstands. Even fancy bikes.  
  • When you don't like where you're going, look the other way. For instance, if you're riding on the edge of the pavement and you unexpectedly start to drift toward the drop-off between the pavement and the shoulder, look toward the center line. Your bike will follow your eyes. 
  • If you keep your finger on the gear shift, you're way more likely to accidentally punch it. 
  • A regular dose of both whiskey and ice cream won't kill you. In fact, it might be good for you.

(OK, this last one I didn't learn from the bike ride itself. I learned it from my father-in-law. But I was thinking about it as I was pedaling, so that counts, right?)

1 comment:

HR GIRL said...

An ice cream whiskey float after a long bike ride is totally refreshing! I like how your FIL thinks.
I enjoy your bike anologies to fitness and health - they just make sense.