Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Do You Have Your Thanksgiving Game Plan?

Last year at this time I was kind of freaking out about the idea of Thanksgiving and "the holidays" in general. I wasn't too sure how I was going to manage the minefield of eating ... and stress.

I noticed today that I hadn't really even given it much thought this year. I'm lucky enough (and I've worked hard enough) to feel pretty comfortable with my situation. I know what this body is. I know what it takes to keep it here. I know what I can "get away with." And most importantly I know I'm in control.

Here are some strategies to help you be in control during this festival of food that's upon us:

1. Maintain your workout schedule. And crank it up a notch if you can. I plan on doing my normal morning routine throughout the weekend, while also working in some extra activity like bike riding, chicken coop cleaning, lawn furniture moving, mulch raking ... and POWER SHOPPING!

2. On Turkey Day, have an eating plan and stick to it. Know what you are going to eat. Think about it before you get there. Tell your husband or wife or lab partner. Write it down. Do whatever you need to do to take control of the situation so you don't mindlessly add on calories.

3. Eat breakfast. In other words, don't show up for dinner hungry.

4. Eat the stuff you REALLY love and leave the rest. Do you adore stuffing like I do? Then eat some of that. But leave the pumpkin pie if you're really not that crazy about it.

5. Bring a dish to pass that's good for you. For instance, I've been tasked with green bean casserole and a veggie tray. The veggie tray is simple ... and the dip will be with fat free sour cream. For the green beans, I've been comparing some healthier alternative recipes online and am going to blend a few together to create what I hope will be a delicious, lower calorie/fat/salt version. (Let's be honest ... no one cares about the damn green bean casserole anyway. It's filler at best. So I don't think anyone will be too disappointed if it's a little different or weird.)

6. Smell it, taste it, savor it. Slow down and pay attention to what you're putting in your mouth ... and truly enjoy every forkful. If you've been eating really clean, this whole day is a "treat" of sorts. If you just shovel the food in your piehole, you won't fully enjoy it and you'll want to eat more tomorrow.

7. If you have to or want to eat more, know what is the most safe to eat more of ... lean turkey, raw veg, fresh fruit. Pick out the healthy stuff when you first sit down so you know can have a plan.

8. Get everyone up and moving. Organize an afternoon walk with the whole family. Play soccer or football. Create a Wii tournament. Organize some relay races with silly prizes for the kids. Then run along. 

9. Send the leftovers home with someone else!

10. And if you have been really good ... if you've been eating on program and exercising regularly ... enjoy the day. Eat a little more than you normally would and don't feel guilty. You've earned one day of moderate reward.

No comments: